Monday, October 19, 2009

Artist In Training

I am really trying to come up with the best way to do this blog since there are so many things that I want to do here and not enough time.  Bear with me as I decide what my plan of attack will be in this endeavor.

I have been a stay at home mom for about 6 years now and have been in the rut of just doing what needed to be done to get by.  It's so easy to just let the children entertain themselves while you get everything else done that needs to be done.  My purpose in being a mother is spending quality time with them and my 6 year old son convicts me of that the most.  So tonight when his little brother was asleep and his older sister was rehearsing for a play, I took the time to sit down with him and do some painting.  This was an idea I found on the internet and decided I would do it with him.  He thought it was the coolest thing.  Just spending alone time with him with no other interactions made him the happiest kid on the block.  I have to admit that I enjoyed the stillness in just not worrying about anything other than what color to use next.  These simple things are so easy to forget in our daily lives but yet so easy to do.

I am vowing to try to make more time with each of my kids so that they know how special they are to me and they never to a back seat to anything else that I am doing.

I started out by tracing some circles on a piece of paper with a cup.  James wondered what I was doing at this point and kept asking what we were going to do.  When he found out that we were going to do watercolors he was so excited to be able to do his and show his art teacher at school.

James thought that the water in the cup looked really neat so he insisted that I take a pic.  He kept trying to put red in there because it looked like "blood".  He is such a boy!

No comments: