Friday, June 25, 2010

I'm A Mean Mom - I Have Proof!

Ever have one of those days or weeks where you are just the "Mean Mom"?  Yesterday my daughter gave me the "Mean Mom" award.

I listen to her most of her girl/boy problems.
I "think" that she tells me a lot for her age.
A lot of 15 year olds don't share much with their mommies.
I let her friends spend the night pretty much "all the time".
I rarely say no and when I do it is for good reason.
I let her text on her phone waaaayyyyyy too much.
I let her go places with her girlfriends like the movies and the pool.

But, I will not let her go to a party at a boy's house whom she has "dated" in the past.
Granted it is a 16th birthday part, but for some strange reason
his mother thinks it to be okay for him to "party" it up and let them have alcohol.
At 16.
Its something that is the norm out here in the country I'm finding out.
The party is 40 minutes away.
Tfour boys that invited her all thought it would be okay for her to just spend the night there.
That way I didn't have to go out in the middle of the night to pick her up.
How kind and thoughtful of them, right.
ABSOLUTELY NOT.
My 15 year old daughter at a party with practically all boys and only one girl that she knows
AND
spending the night with alcohol.
I think not. 

That's how I got it.  The "Mean Mom" award.
I'm thinking I will be getting a lot of those in the near future.

Today, I got the "Mean Mom" award from my son.

His birthday was this week and his party is this weekend in which he will get spoiled.
What kid doesn't, right?!
I swam in the pool with him last night and giggled and laughed, just the two of us.
It was fun.
Tonight when Parker went to bed and Alysia is swimming with friends, I played Lego's with him.
We played for a couple hours.

It was time to brush teeth and go to the bathroom after which
he could watch some cartoons for about 30 minutes before he went to bed.
He didn't want to.
He told me he brushed his teeth, but he didn't.
He whined, I started to lose my patience.
I told him what I expected him to do and if he didn't stop arguing and whining,
there would be no cartoons and it would be straight to bed.
He chose to whine and complain.
He argued that he did brush his teeth just not with toothpaste.
And how come I won't let him play Lego's for just a little longer.
In a calm voice I told him to brush his teeth correctly.
I also told him that it was now bedtime since he couldn't obey.
Whining, crying and complaining ensued. 
Normally we give in but I didn't this time.
He thinks he can get what he wants when he whines and cries.
When he knows we're about to break he promises that he is sorry.
And that he will never do "it again.
Then we give in.
Not this time.
He went to bed, we prayed about patience, obeying and softening of anger.
I got the "Mean Mom" award.

I'm sure there are a couple of time today Parker would have given me the award too.  This weekend I pray that I can let my kids know that I love them and that I am here for them always and that they can always count on me.  Maybe I can get through the weekend without adding anymore trophy's to my mantle.  It's getting a bit crowded.

1 comment:

Debby said...

You are not a mean mom but a good one. It's so hard to say no but you will look back and thank your lucky stars that you did.
I can't believe that it is the norm about alcohol parties. Somehow someone needs to make contact with law enforcement about this. I know that is hard to do but that can't keep happening. Unbelievable...you so did the right thing. B
less you.