Friday, January 8, 2010

The Best Biscuits EVER!!

I have been in search of a biscuit recipe for several months now.  I personally know that Pillsbury Grands fits all my criteria but m y dear hubby was wanting me to make some homemade ones.  His dream is to one day open a cafe so he wanted a biscuit recipe that was the most delicious ever.

I tried about six different recipes and they never turned out quite the way I wanted.  They were either too hard, tasted like flour too much, or simply wasn't the consistency I was going for.  Every recipe spins off of a pretty basic recipe but some call for buttermilk, some do not, some call for self rising flour, some do not.  I wanted something that was SIMPLE. 

I got this recipe from my mother in laws sister and I have to say that these "Ange Biscuits" are simply divine.  They are fluffy and YUMMY!!!  The recipe does call for buttermilk which I didn't have.  If you don't have buttermilk you can take 2 cups of whole milk and add 2 T of vinegar.  Make sure this is at room temperature.  This makes it work best for some reason.  I put the milk in the microwave for about 40 seconds and then added the vinegar.  This will take the chill out of it in order to be close to room temperature.



ANGEL BISCUITS


1 envelope yeast
2 T. lukewarm water
5 c. flour
1 t. soda
3 t. baking powder
3 T. honey
1 t. salt
1 cup shortening
2 cups buttermilk

Dissolve yeast in water. Sift dry ingredients. Cut shortening into dry ingredients. Add buttermilk and honey, then yeast. Stir until flour is dampened. Knead on floured board 1/2 minute. Roll to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter. Bake at 400 for 12 to 15 minutes. No rising is necessary. Dough can be refrigerated and used as needed for a week.
 
Good Luck!!  I hope you enjoy!!

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Yay! I saw that you made these on FB-so glad you posted the recipe!! Will definately try them!!