Sunday, October 17, 2010

Dresses, High Heels, Pearls, Vacuuming?

Barbara Billingsley, also known as June Cleaver who was the quintessential mom on "Leave It To Beaver", died yesterday at the age of 94.

It saddens me to hear that an icon such as her has passed.  Her children described her as the exact same as the role that she played on the sitcom.  To me it seems that she lived a very happy and fulfilling life.

I have secretly wanted to be June Cleaver {who hasn't}.  She had it all together.  A mild-mannered, perfectly coiffed housewife who typically wore dresses, high heels and a strand of white pearls even while vacuuming or baking cookies for her boys.  Who wouldn't want to come home to that?

Behind all of that though we must not forget that it is TV.  Why did she wear heels on the show?  In the beginning, she actually wore flats.  Then as the boys grew taller she switched to heels.  The scenes of her standing on the stairs?  The producers wanted her to remain taller than the boys.  There is even a secret behind the pearl necklace.  {Yes, there is more to it than what my hubby says.} 

My prayers are with her family and son's that she left behind.  May she always be remembered...  


2 comments:

Jennifer Juniper said...

What a good idea, I think I will greet my boys from school while standing on the stairs today :)

shortmama said...

I wish I were a June Cleaver mom too.